The Illinois Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), 5 ILCS 140/1 et. seq., is a State law that provides persons with access to public records. Each City department is a separate public body responsible for maintaining its own records, so requests should be submitted to the department that maintains the records you want.
The administrative headquarters of the Chicago Police Department is located at 3510 S. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, 60653. Information about the Police Department and Public Records may be found throughout the Police Department’s website (www.chicagopolice.org). Information about the City of Chicago and Public Records can be found throughout the City website (www.cityofchicago.org). For convenience, links to several of those sources are available below.
- Chicago Data Portal
- Chicago Police Department Annual Reports
- Chicago Police Department Directives System
- Chicago Police Department Organization for Command
- Chicago Police Districts and Community Areas Map
- Chicago Public Records Center
- Find Your Police District
Chicago Police Board
Certain activities of the Police Department are overseen by the Chicago Police Board, which is a separate City department. A brief description of the Police Board’s powers and responsibilities, and membership information, can be found on that City department’s website (www.cityofchicago.org/policeboard). The aforementioned information satisfies subsection 5 ILCS 140/4(a) of the Act.
All FOIA requests submitted to the Police Department should be printed or typed, and include the following information:
- The name, mailing address and daytime phone number of the requester.
- A description of the records that are being requested.
Freedom of Information Request
You have the option of submitting a FOIA request online by clicking the button below OR using the Police Department’s FOIA Request form by clicking the button below. Please fill out the “Requester” portion only, below the instructions.
Commercial Purposes – If the record sought is for a commercial purpose, the requester must disclose this in the initial request for information.
FOIA requests may be submitted to the Police Department in four ways.
- By mail to the following address: Chicago Police Department Attn: Freedom of Information Officer Freedom of Information Section, Unit 114 3510 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL 60653
- Drop off in person at the Police Records Customer Service Section, located at 3510 S. Michigan Ave. Service hours are 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding public holidays).
- By facsimile to (312) 745-6948. Please be sure that the cover sheet or document is clearly made to the attention of “Freedom of Information Officer.”
- By e-mail to the following e-mail address: email@example.com
Except when a fee is otherwise fixed by statute, the Illinois Freedom of Information Act allows the Department to charge fees for reproducing and certifying public records. However, no copying fee is charged for the first 50 pages of black and white, letter or legal sized copies. See subsection 5 ILCS 140/6(b) of the Act.
If you have any questions regarding FOIA requests, you may call the Police Department’s Freedom of Information Section at (312) 745-5308.